Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Support System

 So I just recently (this week) signed up to run the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Chicago on August 14th…. For those of you who know me this is not something I would normally do because I am not a runner. I never ran in middle school or high school… so you are probably thinking,  
“Why the hell is she even doing this?”  
and my answer to your question is the American Cancer Society.  All proceeds raised by the race go to the American Cancer Society.

 

My grandma is battling cancer for the second time…this time in more than one place.  And we just recently found out that my Papa has prostate cancer.

I wanted to do something that would help them and millions of other people battling some form of cancer…. It’s the least I can do.

So I thought to myself… Running 13.1 miles is NOTHING compared to fighting a deadly disease.

Both of my parents are running it as well (my dad runs marathons and half marathons all the time and my mom convinced me if she could do it so could I and plus she wanted a running buddy).

Needless to say I have looked to my friends and family for inspiration and support. Some of my friends were thrilled at the idea that I would sign up and support this great cause… 
others were a bit more skeptical.

You can do anything you put your mind to.  And no matter what, you should support your friends and family even if you may be skeptical...because you could be the biggest and sometimes only support system they have.  No one likes to be told that you can’t do something like run a half marathon or be made fun of for doing something that truly means a lot to them.  Friends and family are the best support system there is and it is important to be there for one another.

 So I am sure that as my training increases throughout the summer I will keep everyone posted on how it is going. I am very excited to do this and all of my hard work will pay off in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment